皇家劇院

 

122
來到皇家劇院(Royal Theatre)。

 

與台下導演談話。

 

Raymundo
Raymundo
      You can see the creativity literally flowing in abundance from this fellow. He looks at you with interest.
name
      "I am Raymundo."
job
      "Why, I am famous throughout the land! Hast thou not heard of me?"
No
      "-Really-!? I am surprised! But never mind..."
      "I am the Director of the Royal Theatre here in Britain. I am also Playwright-in-Residence. I compose a tune now and then as well. I sometimes act, but it is not wise to act in something that one directs."
      "We are working on a play at the moment."
Royal Theatre
      "'Tis a wonderful space, dost thou not think? 'Twas opened only last year, thanks to the sponsorship of a few wealthy citizens of our great city."
sponsorship
      "The construction of the actual theatre building was paid for by the Royal Mint, but the theatre company relies solely on the support of individuals such as thyself. Wouldst thou like to make a modest contribution of, say, ten gold pieces to our theatre company?"
Yes
      "I thank thee. Thou hast shown thyself to be a true patron of the arts and a person of culture and refinement."
citizens
      "Well, I am really not at liberty to divulge the names of our patrons. But most of them belong to The Fellowship."
patrons
      "These are people who contribute to our theatre. They come from all walks of life and have little in common besides a love of fine theatre."
Fellowship
      "For non-artists, they have given generous contributions to the theatre. They are -fine- people in my book!" He rubs his hands with glee.
      "I am not a member, though."
play
      "It's a little something I wrote entitled 'The Trials of the Avatar'. It's about a legendary figure in Britannian history." The artist looks you up and down.
      "Hmmm. Thou dost have a certain quality... hast thou ever acted on stage?"
No
      "Well, it does not matter. I am sure thou couldst quickly adapt."
      "Officially, auditions have closed and the play is already cast. However, we need someone to understudy the role of the Avatar. Wouldst thou like to audition?"
Yes
      "Excellent! What thou needest to do is to visit Gaye's Clothier Shoppe and purchase an Avatar costume. I can audition thee once I see thee in -proper- attire. Run along and do that, quickly now, I'm a busy man."

 

與台上女表演者談話。

 

Amber
Amber
      This lovely actress is dressed in a mouse costume.
name
      "I am Amber."
job
      "I am an actress at the Royal Theatre. I am playing the role of Sherry the Mouse in the new play."
Royal Theatre
      "'Tis a lovely space in which to perform. I have dedicated my life to acting, thou knowest."
dedicated
      "Actually, this will be my debut theatrical performance. I have been working as a barmaid waiting for my first chance to be in the theatre."
space
      "Raymundo himself had a hand in the design of the theatre."
Sherry
      "Canst thou imagine such drivel? I do not believe there ever was a Sherry the Mouse. Who ever heard of a mouse that could talk! Especially these lines! I would rather play a queen. Much more fitting for me, I would say."
lines
      "I have to memorize this preposterous children's story called 'Hubert's Hair-Raising Adventure'."
queen
      "I asked Raymundo about this and he threw a tantrum. He said that it would not be historically accurate. Ha! As if that were something of any significance!"
play
      "Between thee and me, methinks the play stinks." She winks at you.
Shamino
      "Poo Poo Head!" she cries. She then rushes to him and kisses him full on the mouth. Shamino turns red and shuffles his feet.


Shamino
Shamino
      "Not in front of the Avatar, Poo!"


Amber
Amber
      "To blazes with the Avatar!" She kisses him again. "The Avatar is the last one who will convince thee to settle down."
bye
      "Adieu!"

 

與台上男表演者談話。

 

Jesse
Jesse
      This is a tall, skinny actor with knobby knees.
name
      "I am Jesse and I am a star."
job
      "I work at the Royal Theatre as an actor. I have played -all- the great roles in my career. I now have the chance to play the part of a lifetime -- the Avatar!"
Royal Theatre
      "Because it must cater to the masses, we never have the opportunity to do experimental works -- only the traditional gruel of mediocrity. But 'tis a wonderful space and it has marvelous acoustics."
masses
      "People like to see tales of heroic adventures, knights in armour, beautiful princesses, wise kings, wizards, evil monsters. All that rot."
experimental works
      "My favorite piece is something Raymundo wrote for me entitled 'Three on a Codpiece'. I stand on stage and invite the audience to join me in tearing an undergarment into tiny pieces, after which they are placed in funeral urns and mixed with wheat paste. The pieces of cloth, not the audience members. Then the audience may glue the piece anywhere on my body that they wish."
Avatar
      "The role is very challenging. I have a plethora of lines and I had to work with a trainer for weeks to prepare for the enormous amount of activity required. This role will make 'Jesse' a household name!"
challenging
      "It is easily the most ambitious theatrical production ever conceived. There is over a hundred hours of play time. That is a long time for an audience."
lines
      "My biggest lines are:"
      "Name!"
      "Job!"
      "Bye!"
bye
      "Goodbye. Be sure to come to the show when it opens!"

 

與另一位表演者談話。

 

Stuart
Stuart
      This actor has much stage presence and a booming voice.
name
      "My real name is Stuart. My Stage name is Laurence."
Laurence
      "'Tis the name of a particular hero of mine."
job
      "I am the greatest actor who ever lived," he proclaims with absolutely no modesty. "I am playing the character 'Iolo' in the new play."
Iolo
      Stuart's feathers are obviously ruffled. "Yes, I have been cast as second banana yet again! I am much more suited to play the Avatar, but did Raymundo cast me? Noooo!"


Iolo
Iolo
      "But thou art nothing like me!"


Stuart
Stuart
      "And who art thou, pray tell?"


Iolo
Iolo
      "Why, I am the -real- Iolo!"


Stuart
Stuart
      "Of course thou art. And I am really Lord British. Thou must take me for an ass to think I would believe that."


Iolo
Iolo
      Your friend whispers to you. "These actor types. A touchy bunch, eh?"


Stuart
Raymundo
      "I suppose he's a good director. He never casts me in the right roles, though. And to think I went to school with him! We were on our first stage crew together!"
Avatar
      Stuart whispers to you, "Jesse is all wrong! Why, -thou- wouldst make a better Avatar than he! And -thou- probably couldst not act thy way out of a reagent bag! That is not a reflection on thee, but on Jesse."
act
      "Acting is the highest form of art. It allows one to step outside oneself and become another person. 'Tis like a game!"
bye
      "Goodbye. Be sure to come to the show when it opens!"

 

 

123
回到裁縫店,幫聖者買戲服。

 

Gaye
Gaye
      "Hello again, and what may I do for thee today?" ask Gaye.
buy
      "Do not tell me! Raymundo sent thee to get an Avatar costume! They cost thirty gold coins. Dost thou want one?"
Yes
      She looks you up and down. "Yes, I think we might be able to find something for thee."
      After several minutes of rummaging through the store, Gaye returns. "Here it is! Not many left-- we have had a run on them recently!"
      "It is, indeed, a pleasure to do business with thee, O great Avatar!" She grins and hands you the costume.
bye
      "Good day, milord."

 

 

124
再回到皇家劇院。

 

Raymundo
Raymundo
      "Yes, yes?" Raymundo snaps. What dost thou want? I'm busy!"
audition
      "I see thou art ready? Very well. Take center stage, wouldst thou?"
      Raymundo hands you a script and you take center stage. The lights feel hot on your face. Although you are a little nervous, you clear your throat and begin to read the lines on the page.
I -am- the Avatar!
      "No, no, no! That is all wrong! Thou art the 'Avatar'! Thou must feel like the Avatar! Thou must sound like the Avatar! Thou must -be- the Avatar! Try it again."
      "Jesse, hand our friend thy staff."


Jesse
Jesse
      "Here it is, milord."


Raymundo
Raymundo
      With the staff in hand, you try the lines once more. This time you feel like a true actor. The lines flow from lips as if the Avatar were really saying them. You feel an excitement you have never before felt. You like this 'acting' thing. You crave more! You anxiously await Raymundo's critique...
      Raymundo takes the staff and say, "Hmmmm. Yes, that's fine. I thank thee. Fine. We shall be in touch, yes? Thank thee for coming in. If thou hast a resume just leave it by the door, yes? Thank thee."

沒有留言:

張貼留言